Embrace Your Cheesy Side with Fresh Catskills Cheese
- Cheddar is the most popular natural cheese in the US.
- One ounce of mozzarella cheese has 207 Mgs of calcium.
- Certain cheeses, like Cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, and others, have been shown to help prevent tooth decay!
Storage, Prep, & Usage Tips
- Refrigerate your cheese in its original packaging.
- After using cheese, wrap it as tightly as possible in plastic wrap or foil to prevent air pockets, and place in an air tight container if you can.
- Cheese typically has a “best if used by” date and not a true “expiration” date. For the best quality and taste, use your cheese before its “best if used by” date.
- Freeze your cheese! It can last indefinitely. Freezing may change the consistency of the cheese, but not its taste. That makes frozen cheese ideal for cooking or baking.
- If shredding your cheese, do it while the cheese is cold!
- When adding cheese to burgers or chicken, add it during the last 2 minutes of grilling or baking. Otherwise it can turn waxy.
½ cup of jalapeño peppers, diced ♥
½ of a bell pepper, diced ♥
1 yellow squash quartered and diced ♥
3 carrots, sliced thinly ♥
2 cups of whole wheat pasta (macaroni, penne, bowtie, rotini, heck anything will work)
¼ cup of olive oil
1 clove of garlic minced ♥
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flower
1½ cups of skim milk ♥
2 cups of low-fat cheddar cheese ♥
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper for taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and start to boil a medium pot of water. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil, and lightly coating with olive oil (not from your ¼ cup).
- Toss your jalapeño, bell pepper, squash, and carrots onto the baking sheet. Then cook for 20 minutes, or until they have softened. Set aside for later use.
- Once water is boiling, cook your pasta, then drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook garlic for 30 seconds. Whisk in flower and cook for a minute. Gradually whisk in your milk and let the mixture thicken slightly. Then remove from heat. Stir in your cheddar cheese until it is completely melted.
- Add all ingredients (cheese sauce, veggies, pasta, and seasonings) into a casserole dish, and mix. Place under the broiler in your oven (500 degrees Fahrenheit), and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Sources for Tips and Recipe
Sources for Facts, Tips, & Recipe