July – September
Berry Interesting Facts…
- There are over 200 different species of raspberries, this includes blackberries!
- Colors can range from red to yellow to purple to black
- 60-70 pints of berries can be harvested from one 100 foot long row
Storage, Prep, & Usage Tips
- The berries should be stored in the refrigerator in the box they come in, and are best if used within 2-3 days.
- Wash the berries just before using.
- Remove stem caps.
- Look for berries that are bright, uncrushed and free of mold.
- Make sure the box is not overly stained or leaking, a sign of too-ripe berries.
2 cups of berries (raspberries or blackberries) ♥
2 eggs, well beaten ♥
1/2 cup milk ♥
10-12 mint leaves (for garnish) ♥
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 egg (well beaten) in a greased baking dish.
- Combine flour, oatmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix 1 egg (well beaten), milk, melted butter together and stir gently into the flour mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the berries in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Sources for Facts & Tips