July & August
3 fun facts…
- Blueberries are native to North America
- A half cup of blueberries only has 42 calories
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants and fiber
Blueberries like breathing room. Store them in the crisper drawer of your fridge with a lower humidity setting. Use within a week to a week and a half.
Prep & Usage
- Blueberries are so plentiful at Sullivan County Farmers Markets so freeze blueberries now, to use throughout the year. Some recommend laying them out first on a cookie sheet and placing that in the freezer. It’s up to you!
- You don’t need to thaw blueberries before cooking with them.
- Wash blueberries right before you eat them, instead of before storing them — this ensures you do not damage their thin skin before storing which may cause them to perish faster.
2 cups of fresh chopped blueberries ♥
1 cup of whole fresh blueberries ♥
¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro ♥
2 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers ♥
1/3 cup of diced red bell pepper
¼ cup of chopped onion
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve…with tortilla chips or crackers!